Tue, Nov 30, 2021

Types of Evidence

SAQA describes the difference between the three main types of evidence as follows (Oct. 2001: 38-39):

DIRECT EVIDENCE

INDIRECT EVIDENCE

HISTORICAL EVIDENCE

• Actual evidence produced by candidates.
  • Considered the most valid and authentic evidence and should be the primary source of evidence.

• This is evidence produced about the candidate by a third party, other than the assessor.
  • It can be used to verify the authenticity of other forms of evidence.
  • Witnesses must understand the standards required and able to comment authoritatively on the candidate’s performance.
  • This is evidence of what the candidate was capable of doing in the past.
  • This will be checked for authenticity and supplemented by an assessment of current competence.
Examples

1. Previously completed products and portfolios
  2. Performance appraisals
  3. Certificates and qualifications
  4. Medals, prizes and testimonials

The Rules of Evidence – these are the questions Assessors ask

“Is it Valid?”

• Does it relate to the specific outcomes and assessment criteria?
  • Is it in a form that will allow accurate judgement to be made of the candidate’s level of competence?
  • Is it well presented and explained?

“Is it Sufficient?”

• Is there enough evidence to make an accurate judgement about the candidate’s performance?
  • Does the evidence show, beyond reasonable doubt, that the required standards have been achieved?
  • Does the evidence indicate that the candidate really possesses the competencies?

“Is it Authentic?”

•  Is the evidence the candidate’s own work?
  • Was it achieved by the candidate alone? (If not, the candidate’s contribution must be clearly described.)
  • Did the candidate really produce the evidence?

“Is it current?”

• Does the evidence reflect current competence?
  • Is the evidence generated from the past 2 years or less?

Reference: Department of education: Develop a portfolio to demonstrate school leadership and management competence A module of the Advanced Certificate: Education (School Management and Leadership)

What Are Training Provider Responsibilities During POE Assessment?

How to Compile Evidence for Recognition of Prior Learning

CAT. How SAQA allows Learners to be credited for Maths and Languages

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Tania Apr 14, 2016 at 9:00 am

You inspiring. I left corp to assess facilitate busy with reg as assessor. Any assistance i am a broker also write my own material. I hope you can guide me put me into right people. Tired of 20years broking. Tania-Rae@wol.co.za

Leonie Hall Apr 14, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Hi Tania! Wow…kudos to you on making a career move! Read as much as you can about education and training theory – many problems exist in the sector because the facilitators, assessors and moderators are ungroomed in theory…teachers qualify after 4 years just to teach children. It’s not rational to assume that 3 day and 2 day workshops are adequate to skills you in how environments impact on adults and how t dea with adult learning disabilities tc…you need to know this. Even the most successful business person can have a debilitating personal challenge. So expose yourself to the brilliant world of pedagogy and andragogy, absorb the wonderful ideas! You’ll be inspired and empowered.
    Writing your own material? Hows that going? better to purchase off the shelf and customise using the correct templates.
    Please read the fantastic SAQA policy documents that exist. they are user friendly and often (not always) written with you, the user, in mind.

Tania Apr 14, 2016 at 9:01 am

Dealing with seta are horrific its years tht i did not gt my certificate

Percy Johnnie Manuel May 17, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Hi leonie
Very good website information.
Could you perhaps help with a internship log for A TVET NC N Diploma programme – Management Assitant; HR; Finance, etc.

Refiloe Aug 7, 2017 at 6:42 am

Hi

I have been in retail for the past 11 years n I am very tired with my current job.I recently did an assessor training course.I just need to finish with my portfolio of evidence.I need guidelines on how to put it together.
Please I need assistance.

R

Pitso Mokowe AKA Raven Jun 26, 2019 at 8:57 am

Good day ; currently am doing ODETP level 4 with LPL and and this helped me to complete my POE in time.This is helpful

Jabu Jul 24, 2019 at 4:05 pm

I have B – Tech in Chemistry and I want to study M – Tech and I have 58%. I need to complete POE for the work I have done. I have for department of public as a water technician. please assist me of the headings / format of this project