Are you nervous about negotiating your pay? Taking a look at salary trends is a great way to prepare for this discussion. Here’s what pay looked like in South Africa during 2017.
Knowledge is muscle. Going to an interview without knowing the salary range on offer or current pay trends for the position you’re applying for is irresponsible behaviour deserving of low pay! 🙁
Seasoned professionals can prepare for an interview in less than 2 or 3 hours, others must spend an entire weekend and more to get ready.
Do it! Don’t let ignorance cost you money and dignity.
The Way of Pay in SA
Here’s a list of wage trends during 2017. This information is the first step to informing your wage negotiation argument. Our second step covers which reliable sites to use to find information about specific job pay.
When you are asked ‘how much?’ your information should be based on these trends and your competency.
- Highest paid: Civil/Structural Engineers – R70,301
- Lowest paid: Engineering Drafters – R16,905
- Highest paid: Structural Engineer – R70,876
- Lowest paid: Construction/Demolition Equipment Operator – R18,015
- Highest paid: Logistics Management – R44,278
- Lowest paid: Packing and Packaging – R3,480
- Highest paid: Technical and Business Architecture – R66,558
- Lowest paid: Network, Planning, Design and Installation – R20,778
In the start-up sector, Business Tech reported that ‘IT related positions, including mostly programmers and developers, top the mix of skills that start-ups look for. The recruitment firm recently found that developer related skills feature among the most rarest skills in the country, taking up six of the top 10 positions.
|Job skill or title||Demand from Companies||Demand from Job Seekers||Rareness Factor 2017||Average Salary|
|Java Developer||2 705||21||128.8||R513 875|
|Developer||16 952||255||66.5||R467 163|
|php Developer||1 801||28||64.3||R410 328|
|Web Developer||1 488||28||53.1||R395 896|
|Financial Accountant||1 139||22||51.8||R471 429|
|Software Developer||1 428||34||42.0||R457 254|
|Net Developer||890||34||26.2||R446 743|
|Technologist||1 359||65||20.9||R497 127|
|Assistant Manager||1 077||67||16.1||R222 739|
|Consultant||6 837||444||15.4||R203 914|
- Highest paid: Hospital Management – R61,915
- Lowest paid: Dietician – R14,861
- Highest paid: Corporate Lending – R69,932
- Lowest paid: Financial Services Consulting – R11,750
- Highest paid: Product Management – R40,944
- Lowest paid: Shop decoration and visual display – R10,885
- Highest paid: Sales management – R43,656
- Lowest paid: Merchandiser, product promotor and demonstrator – R7,238
- Highest paid: Office Management – R35,921
- Lowest paid: Teller and Cashier – R6,289
- Highest paid: Plant management – R61,157
- Lowest paid: Printing – R10,650
If you’re a job hunter, you need to visit sites such as Business Tech and the CareerJunction website. Career Junction publishes wage surveys each year.