If you run an Early Childhood Development (ECD) facility, apply for an ECD programme certificate. Do you want to provide learning and support appropriate to developing the age, stage and needs of the children you care for? Including children with a disability, chronic illness and other special needs?
Applying for an Early Childhood Development (ECD) Programme Certificate
Nursery schools, creches, preschools and daycare centres can all fall under the term ‘Early Childhood Development.’
ECD Programme Certificate: Do You Run A Creche?
Do you run a preschool facility? Because a nursery school can apply for an ECD Programme Certificate. You can apply for an ECD programme certificate at your nearest Department of Social Development or municipal office.
ECD Programme Certificate Framework
1. ECD Programme Certificate Duration
The certificate is valid for five years.
2. Criteria For ECD Programme Certificate
For your application to be considered, your ECD programme must:
- Provide appropriate development opportunities.
- Be aimed at helping children realise their full potential.
- Care for children in a constructive manner and provide support and security.
- Ensure the development of positive social behaviour.
- Respect and nurture the culture, spirit, dignity, individuality and language of each child.
- Finally, meet the emotional, cognitive, sensory, spiritual, moral, physical, social and communication development needs of each child.
3. Individual Criteria For ECD Programme Certificate: You must
- be fit and proper
- have an appropriate ECD qualification, skills and training
- have worked in the early childhood development field for a minimum of three years.
4. Qualifying For ECD Funding
Firstly, you must comply with the prescribed national norms and standards to qualify for the funding of ECD programmes. Funding is prioritised in particular communities. For example, families who lack the means of providing proper shelter, food and other basic necessities of life to their children.
Steps To Apply For ECD Programme Certificate
Obtain Form 16: Department of Social Development
Application For ECD Programme Certificate
Apply for the registration or conditional registration of an ECD programme at your nearest Department of Social Development or municipal office. They will issue Form 16.
2. Provide Correct Information For Your ECD Programme Certificate
The application must contain the following:
- Your name and identity number
- Your physical and postal address
- The particulars of the ECD programme
- An implementation plan for the ECD programme
- The staff composition of the facility where the ECD programme will be provided
- The financial statements of the ECD facility
- A clearance issued by the Department of Justice and Constitutional Development to ensure that your name and that of staff members do not appear in Part B of the National Child Protection Register or the National Register for Sex Offenders
- Your qualifications, skills and experience.
Once your application has been approved, you will be issued with a certificate of registration or conditional registration or renewal of registration. Afterwards, officials from the Department of Social Development and the municipality will make continuous assessment visits to your facility.
How long does ECD Programme Certification take?
It may take up to three months for your registration certificate to be issued.
How much does ECD Programme Certification cost?
The service is free.
Department of Social Development Contact Information
- Customer Care Helpline: 012 312 7727
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Social Development Provincial Contact Numbers
|Provincial DSD||Phone DSD|
|Gauteng||(011) 355 7687 / 7977 / 7878|
|Limpopo||(015) 293 6004 / 6054 / 6011 / 6053|
|North West||(018) 387 3434 / 0255 / 3497 / 0281|
|Mpumalanga||(013) 766 3098 / 3253 / 3031|
|Free State||(051) 400 0302 / 0304 / 0307|
|Eastern Cape||(043) 605 5000|
|KwaZulu-Natal||(033) 264 5400|
|Western Cape||(021) 483 3858/ 3765 / 3158 / 5445|
|Northern Cape||(053) 807 5600|
Children And Adults With Disabilities: DSD Contacts
I’ve started a new site called TAP, Trevor’s Art Project. Trevor is my nephew, he’s learning to be an artist and has Intellectual Disability. I’m initiating TAP so that Trevor can meet and work with other disabled artists, who, like him, are often isolated from others. Visit our squeaky new site and show us some love! 🙂 xxx