Available bursaries for Science, Engineering and IT. These currently available bursaries close for applications by September 2023. If you’re in Matric or enrolled at a university, you could be eligible for these funding opportunities.
Available Bursaries: IT, Science and Engineering 2023/24
Here are three bursary programs! Read the bursary requirements and make sure you meet the criteria or you’ll be wasting your time!
I’ve expressed strong opinions about bursaries as a warning to those applying for financial aid. Unfortunately, a bursary is a little like having a ball and chain attached to your ankle. (You’ll see why when you read the bursary obligations.) In most cases, you become ‘married’ to the organisation that gave you the bursary.
Be careful what you sign up for! Compare bursary requirements and compete hard for those that include a living allowance.
I f’king hate bursaries that don’t include an allowance. Feel free to add your thoughts.
Follow Keep Climbing to read more about bursaries, particularly the Misery Bursary!
Available Bursaries for Engineering Students in South Africa
Worst option at the top! Learn to recognise the worst bursary deals. For example, bursaries that don’t include a living allowance require that students have someone (such as parents) to subsidize them. Moreover, the irony is that often these ‘no allowance bursaries’ go on and on about BEE. But that’s horse-shit window dressing because when a company does not include an allowance, they limit BEE.
BBD well goddam! They offer what counts and it’s possible their bursary is stuffed with other advantages.
SAPPI plays the bursary game with understanding. Consequently, they have probably transformed and adapted to democracy. Additionally, they may even be good to work for!
3. Jones & Wagener closing date: 31 July 2023
- I wouldn’t call this a generous bursary. If your family is low-income, then this bursary might not be your first choice. For many financially disadvantaged youth, studying means relocating closer to campus. They then lose their family support and have to cope alone. They need a living allowance, Jones & Wagener.
- Do you have great marks and can demonstrate that you are from a community that faces economic exclusion? If so, I would encourage you to appeal to Jones & Wagener for an allowance. Honestly, if they can’t afford it, they are too switched off to be in the bursary game.
3.1 Bursaries will be awarded for studies towards the following qualifications:
- Civil Engineering (BEng or BSc)
- Environmental (BEng or BSc)
- Geochemistry (BEng or BSc)
- Geology (BEng or BSc).
3.2 Jones & Wagener Bursary Requirements:
- Be a South African citizen.
- Must have completed Matric or currently in Matric.
- You must be studying OR you must intend on studying towards one of the qualifications listed above, in 2024
- Must be studying OR you must intend on studying at a recognised and accredited University in South Africa.
- You must have a strong academic record.
- Applicants currently in Matric: you must have achieved a minimum result of 75% for Mathematics and Physical Science in your Grade 11 final results.
- Applicants who have completed Matric: you must have achieved a minimum result of 75% for Mathematics and Physical Science in Matric.
- You must have proven financial need.
- Preference will be given to students who reflect the Black Economic Empowerment.
3.3 The Jones & Wagener bursary covers:
Tuition fees (as a minimum), but may also provide cover for accommodation and offer a limited prescribed textbooks allowance.
You might want to beware of this one, it could be a misery bursary. Although they say they prefer BBE candidates, they don’t seem to understand the Black Tax context. But let me know if you disagree.
3.4 Your Obligation to Jones & Wagener:
- After graduating, bursary recipients will be required to work at Jones & Wagener for a duration equal to that of their bursary award. During their studies, students may also be required to partake in vacation work in Centurion or Rivonia – this will take place over a 6-week period in July and/or December and students will receive remuneration.
- If Jones & Wagener are the types of education funders who think students don’t deserve a living allowance, do you want to work for them? What kind of employers do you think they are? Are they upfront about pay? Are they as uptight with their employees as what they are with the students they fund?
- But listen, if you do accept their bursary and then need to worm your way out a few years from now, come back here! Be sure to contact Keep Climbing, the only education site truly committed to disrupting barriers.
3.5 How to Apply for the Jones & Wagener Misery Bursary Programme
- Applications must be submitted online at Jones & Wagener Bursary Application 2023
After completing the online application form, applicants must upload the following supporting documents on this link (Link: Upload Here)
- South African ID document (copy only)
- Full Curriculum Vitae
- Recent colour photograph (headshot)
- Matric latest results/ Grade 11 final results, if currently in Matric (copy only)
- Matric certificate, if completed Matric (copy only)
- Full tertiary academic record, if currently studying (copy only)
2. Available Bursaries Sappi Closing date: 31 August 2023
This bursary looks like a better financial option than Jones & Wagener‘s potential misery bursary. That’s because the Sappi bursary includes a living allowance, we like them for that. Sappi is offering undergraduate bursaries for Engineering and Forestry Science degrees at South African universities.
2.1 Fields of study: Bursaries are offered for:
- Chemical Engineering (BSc or BEng)
- Civil Engineering (BSc or BEng)
- Electrical Engineering (BSc or BEng)
- Forestry and Wood Science (BSc)
- Industrial Engineering (BSc or BEng)
- Mechanical Engineering (BSc or BEng)
- Mechatronics Engineering (BSc or BEng)
2.2 Eligibility Requirements for a Sappi Bursary:
- Bursaries are for South African citizens between the ages of 17 and 25 years old
- You must have completed Matric or currently be in Matric
- You must have achieved more than 70% for Maths (not Maths Lit), 70% for Physical Science and 60% for English in Matric or Grade 11 if you are currently in Matric
- Your goal is to study Engineering full-time at a university and be supported by Sappi.
2.3 The Sappi bursary covers:
Tuition, Books, Accommodation & A living allowance. The value awarded depends on the student’s household income.
Sappi engineering bursars have the opportunity for vacation work during July and December each year and successful completion enables entry into the Sappi Engineer-in-Training programme.
Now that’s the shit I’m talking about people! I strongly dislike bursaries that don’t include a living allowance. They are evidence of a lack of understanding of our society. I feel that the use of BEE terminology is even exploitative when this understanding is missing. Businesses that don’t offer a living allowance are either taking advantage of vulnerable talent or only empowering already advantaged individuals. That’s my opinion. Add yours in the comments section.
Available Bursaries for Information Technology in South Africa
1. BBD Bursary & Beyond Programme Closing date unspecified
- Calling all talented students who are currently studying within the Information Technology (IT) field. BBD’s Bursary & Beyond Programme is designed to launch a successful career in software development by providing you with what you need to excel.
- BBD is an international software solutions company that solves real-world problems with innovative solutions and modern technology stacks. Their experience spans the education, financial services, gaming, insurance, telecoms and public sectors.
1.1 About the BBD Bursary
- The Programme is designed around creating opportunities for you to have access to the financial means necessary to complete your studies alongside hands-on exposure to real-world software development and full access to the BBD Research and Development team.
- The ultimate goal is to help you meet inspiring, like-minded individuals, build your network, share knowledge and ease your transition from student to working professional.
- At the end of your studies, you have the opportunity to join their exciting Grad Programme where you’ll dive into your career, working on real project teams and quickly upskilling within BBD’s unique company culture.
The BBD Bursary & Beyond Programme provides extensive support for talented students in selected IT fields who are considering a career in software development. The bursary contributes to the cost of the university as well as provides a monthly allowance
1.2 Fields of study: You are currently or will be enrolled in a BSc / BEng / BCom / BIS degree in:
1.3 As a BBD bursar, you need to meet the following basic requirements:
- Be a South African citizen
- Currently studying or preparing to study towards a degree in IT at a recognised South African University
- Have a minimum overall academic average of 70% (Matric) or 65% (Tertiary)
- Have a passion for creating and building software and ideally have some cool stuff ready to show us
1.4 How to Apply for a BBD Bursary
When applying, don’t forget to include:
- Your updated CV
- A copy of your ID
- A copy of your matric certificate
- University acceptance letter
- A copy of your latest academic transcripts
- A link to your personal coding projects on GitHub or similar (if you have any)