How to Look for the Most Promising Job Opportunities When You’re Looking for a Job. Planning your next career move? Responding to job adverts isn’t enough to find the work you really really want!
Research Tips for Finding the Most Promising Job Opportunities
The only way you will succeed is to be informed – end of story! Prepare your job-seeking strategy!
Find the Most Promising Job Opportunities For You
Looking for a job? Planning your next career move? Responding to job adverts isn’t enough to find the work you really really want! Job markets are fiercely competitive and exploitative so it’s important you have a job-seeking strategy.
Understand Skills and Industry Needs To The Find Best Job Opportunities
The terms ‘scarce skills‘ and ‘occupations in high demand‘ are a must-know for job seekers and those looking for career growth opportunities.
Examples of Jobs that are In Demand
How to Find Job Opportunities
- Search for scarce skills in a particular field you would like to work in, examples:
- Identify the jobs you are most interested in, and divide them into 2 categories
- field/sector specific (these are jobs only available in a particular field, eg. shipbuilder, food technologist)
- transferable (these are jobs that are found across industries, eg. administrators, lawyers)
- Match the jobs you’re interested in and the fields you’d like to work in
- your plan of action must identify what steps you will take to pursue training for the positions or
- identify which companies you want to apply to (Read: APPLY FOR UNADVERTISED JOBS )
- Don’t trust HR managers or recruiters, most are motivated only to find those willing to accept low-wage offers.
- If you have applied to a job advert, make sure you know what they intend to offer before an interview.
- Call them under a false name and ask how much as it’s your right to know. Don’t give them your real name and don’t necessarrily believe what they tell you.
- Check the company’s pay rates on Payscale
Young people are easy to exploit and take advantage of because they tend to believe they have no rights or power to negotiate and object. Always stand your ground against bad treatment, and never give in.
Take these steps to help you find the most promising job opportunities:
- Research Industry Trends: Stay updated on the latest industry trends and advancements in your field of interest. This can give you an idea of the in-demand skills and career paths that are most likely to grow in the near future.
- Network: Connect with professionals in your field, attend industry events, and join relevant professional organizations. This can help you gain insights into the job market and possible opportunities, as well as make valuable connections.
- Use Job Search Websites: Look for job postings that match your skills and interests on websites like LinkedIn, Indeed, and Glassdoor. Pay attention to the required skills, experience, and education, as well as the job duties and responsibilities, to determine if it’s a good fit for you.
- Check Labor Market Information: Utilize government resources such as StatsSA to research growth projections, salary expectations, and demand for different occupations.
- Seek Guidance from Career Services: Utilize the resources offered by your college or university’s career services centre to help you with your job search. They can provide information on career opportunities, help you with resume writing and interview preparation, and connect you with potential employers. Check SETAs, the QCTO and DHET websites for career guidance.
- Consider Upskilling: Consider taking online courses, attending workshops, or obtaining certifications to enhance your skills and increase your chances of landing a job in a high-demand field.
Make Yourself Visible to the Most Promising Job Opportunities
In summary, research industry trends, network, use job search websites, check labour market information, seek guidance from career services, and consider upskilling.