Wed, Dec 8, 2021

What is Accreditation?

Accreditation means that you are qualified to work on specific National Qualifications aligned interventions. It means you have both knowledge  of how to execute compliant training delivery and knowledge of a qualification’s specific subject requirements.

Whilst facilitators are not currently required to be certified, Assessor and Moderator accreditation has become increasingly important for those in the Education and Training sector.

Competition among Facilitators

There are still facilitators who believe what they have to offer is so unique and progressive, that a formalisation of their facilitation skills are not required. In fields such as software development, this may be true.

This will eventually change as more opportunity for the formalisation of the facilitation role increases and becomes a requirement.

In addition, there are many who don’t want to practice but prefer contributing to development by training and improving the field. As a result, with facilitator numbers increasing, in order for them to be competitive in the job market, more are moving towards certification.

How to Become Certified

In order to become a SETA accredited assessor and / or moderator you need the following

Assessor / Moderator Certification (ETDP  SETA) + Certification for an Area of Specialisation (Any SETA)

This means that:

1. You understand how to apply assessment and moderation in a learning environment
  2. You understand how to apply assessment and moderation for a particular qualification and ensure an industry relevant learning experience.

Follow these two steps for Accreditation

1. Complete ETDP assessor and moderator training
  2. Submit your CV and certificates to the SETA that is the custodian of the qualifications you wish to assess and moderate on (For example business administration is with SSETA, IT with MICTSETA etc.)
    1. Tip: Organize your CV into sections that clearly link to the specific outcomes or exit level outcomes of the qualifications you want to be certified for.

Assessor and Moderation Roles

Simply put, these roles encompass the following:

Assessor: assesses learners to ensure learning outcomes have been achieved and the programme has supported a holistic learning experience.

Moderator: Ensures that all factors of the learning value chain from ‘selection of learners’ to ‘summative assessment’ have followed a principled system in order to ensure valid certification.

Note: You cannot become a moderator without having achieved the assessor certification.

Area of Specialisation and Recognition of Prior Learning

Many ask ‘I have job specific experience and have been training people in my field for years. Must I really go and do a degree and then do ETDP SETA training?!’

Answer: Nope.

Although it’s ideal to have a degree in order to determine an area of  ‘specialisation’ – if you have work experience you can apply for Recognition of Prior Learning.

How to embark on RPL:

1. Identify the specific qualification / field that you want to be certified for. If it’s Marketing, select a marketing qualification.
  2. Find a training provider for the qualification, here are some options to try out:

What to Study to Become A Certified Assessor and Moderator

These are three standard unit standards you can be assessed against in order to receive an ETDP verifiable certificate. Find ETDP Accredited training providers offering these unit standards.

Details  Become a Facilitator Become an Assessor Become a Moderator
SAQA Unit Standard Facilitate Learning Using a Variety of Given Methodologies Conduct Outcomes-Based Assessments Moderate Outcomes-Based Assessments
U/S. I.D. 117871 115753 115759
NQF Level 5 5 6
Credits 10 15 10
Purpose This unit standard will provide recognition for those who facilitate or intend to facilitate learning using a variety of given methodologies. Formal recognition will enhance their employability and also provide a means to identify competent learning facilitators. This generic assessor course is for those who assess people for their achievement of learning outcomes in terms of specified criteria using pre-designed assessment instruments. This unit standard is for people who conduct internal or external moderation of outcomes-based assessments.
Learning Outcomes

The qualifying learner will be able to:

• Plan and prepare for facilitation;
  • Facilitate learning; and
  • Evaluate learning and facilitation.
The qualifying learner will be able to:

• Carry out assessments in a fair, valid, reliable and practicable manner;
  • Demonstrate understanding of outcomes-based assessment;
  • Prepare for assessments;
  • Conduct assessments;
  • Provide feedback on assessments; and
  • Review assessments.
The qualifying learner will be able to:

• Moderate assessments in terms of the relevant outcome statements and quality assurance requirements;
  • Use the prescribed QA procedures in a fair, valid, reliable and practicable manner;
  • Demonstrate understanding of moderation within the context of an OBE assessment system;
  • Plan and prepare for moderation;
  • Conduct moderation;
  • Advise and support assessors;
  • Report, record and administer moderation; and
  • Review moderation systems and processes.
Target Groups Individuals who facilitate at work place,  or independent training providers. Individuals who are responsible for assessing delegates’ achievements at work place, or independent training providers and/or assessment centres. Individuals who are responsible for moderating the OBE assessment practices at work place, or independent training providers and/or assessment centres.
Entry Requirements Candidate-facilitators need to be competent in the learning area in which training will be provided. No previous assessment experience is necessary, although, candidate-assessors should have evaluative expertise within the area of learning in which they intend to assess.  Candidate-moderators should have previous assessment experience and recognition for the unit standard 115753 – “Conduct OBE Assessments” as well as evaluative expertise within the field in which they are moderating assessments

Why Facilitators have been allowed to operate without Certification

Two possible ideas contributed towards the lack of formal requirements for facilitators.

1. When South Africa’s new sector based training system emerged, it soon became clear that many sectors lacking formal qualifications would benefit from having them in place.

The Craft and Live Event Technology sectors are examples of this practice.

• Craft skill and knowledge was usually handed down from one generation to another
  • Those entering the field of live event technology in the hopes of one day becoming a technician – had to work their way from simple menial tasks such as loading equipment, for indeterminate time periods. No suitable qualifications meant they could remain in these low paying, often casual positions for many years.

If these informal facilitators were only allowed to impart skills and knowledge once certified, learning and development would have slowed. Training in relevant industry skills had to be delivered by these subject experts, whether a crafter or a technician. Although we still sometimes see a separation of the facilitator and assessor role, it’s decreasing.

2. A second idea relating to a lack of pressure for separate facilitator certification is that if you understand how to assess correctly, by default, you should understand how to construct a reliable learning experience to meet assessment criteria and exit level outcomes.

As we know, this isn’t always true and there are those with a facilitator flair that others lack. Often the more flamboyant facilitator prefers to drive the learning experience without having to assess – sometimes seen as an onerous task.

Career and Business Coaching for Accreditation and Business Development

More for facilitators

Tags: , , , , , ,

mpho Mar 14, 2017 at 10:54 am

Please quote me on Moderation , Facilitator and Assessor Course

desiree tshilo Sep 6, 2017 at 11:35 pm

please send me a quote on facilitation, moderation and assessment , i need accreditation for operating a sewing and bead work school. want to start operationg early next year

Brenda Jun 29, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Hi i need a quote for Moderation , Facilitator and Assessor Course.

Leonie Hall Jun 30, 2017 at 9:23 am

Hi Brenda
    Thanks for your query!
    I provide strategic, product development and marketing support to training organisations and don’t offer training, so unfortunately can’t quote you on that.
    Regards
    Leonie

Tshepho Jul 21, 2017 at 6:12 pm

Where to obtain accessor certificate?

Leonie Hall Jul 27, 2017 at 8:34 pm

Hi Tshepo
    Assessors must be qualified as assessors in order to receive a certificate.

Alta Spence Aug 21, 2017 at 1:06 pm

How do I go about registering and what is the costs involved?

Arthur Aug 25, 2017 at 7:05 am

I want to do the Assessor and Moderator course via Oxbridge Academy, as the have distance learning.
Will it be the right institution for want I need. Are there any other Distant Learning Courses for Assessor and Moderator.
Have SAMTRA from NOSA( NQF 5) and would want to provide training in the Health and Safety Field.

I am also a First Aid Instructor for First Aid Classes.

I am a Diving Instructor and would like to use this to train Tour leaders.
After I have obtained above 2 qualifications, how do I become “the next step”

Regards
Arthur

Please advise.

Marinda van Niekerk Aug 29, 2017 at 6:36 pm

Hi Leoni

Please send me a detailed quote on facilitation, moderation and assessors?

Leonie Hall Aug 29, 2017 at 8:37 pm

Hi Marinda
    Thanks for stopping by! I’m afraid I don’t provide that training so wont be able to assist with a quote.
    Warmest regards
    Leonie

Nomkhosi Shoba Sep 3, 2017 at 2:59 pm

Hi

I’m interested in doing assessor, facilitator and moderator courses. Please send me more info.

Eric Oct 10, 2017 at 2:18 pm

Hi Leonie,

Excellent article.
Very informative and relevant.

Eric

G.M Magaisa Oct 11, 2017 at 6:36 pm

Can you please give me a quote for the online facilitator and moderator courses?

Paul Pelle Oct 16, 2017 at 3:20 pm

kindly send me comprehensive prospectus containing assessors, facilitators courses, fees and commencement dates

julie emmanuel bagirathi Dec 17, 2017 at 1:18 am

I would like to do the Assessor and Moderator and Facilitator course.
Please could you tell me how I go about doing this.
I have been a Executive Secretary and Personal Assistant to Senior Management in corporate companies for 15 years.
I am highly computer literate and have the knowledge of MS Office.

Please could you guide me once I complete these courses?

I would like to freelance.
I am not interested in a permanent employment.

Yours faithfully

Julie Emmanuel Bagirathi
Whatsup No 0840117977
cell 0813895697

Jannie Hermans Jan 3, 2018 at 9:40 am

My name is Jannie Hermans and I am a SDF. I am interested in completing the Failitator, Assessor and Moderator training. Kindly advised on these courses, fees and commencement dates.

Kind regards
Jannie

Leonie Hall Jan 6, 2018 at 10:21 am

Hi Jannie! You need to approach accredited training providers. Google the qualification you want and you’ll see the names of providers popping up. these days there are both online and normal contact training available and pricing is very competitive.

Theodocia Asanda Mphakathi Jan 10, 2018 at 4:30 pm

Can i apply for a job with a statement of results? I have trained as a facilitator and received my results

Leonie Hall Jan 10, 2018 at 6:09 pm

Yes you can! Your results prove competency even better than a certificate. Good luck!

frank malaka Jan 12, 2018 at 7:21 pm

Hey asanda i wanna do facilitator course ….where did u do it and how much n bow long it takes.my number is 0721783631

Amogelang Jan 11, 2018 at 2:35 pm

Jaco van den Heever Jan 24, 2018 at 7:15 am

I’m interested in doing assessor and moderator courses. Please send me more info. Any Course date set from Beginning March 2018.

Mokgadi Ramaru Jan 24, 2018 at 6:53 pm

good day

I would like to be an a Assessor. Please send me more details.

Kind regards
MJ Ramaru
084 605 2833

Selaocwe Kabelo Jan 26, 2018 at 3:28 pm

Good day

I want to do an assessor and moderator course, kindly inform me of the next date available.

Regards,

Selaocwe Kabelo

Leonie Hall Jan 29, 2018 at 9:25 am

Hi Selaocwe, please search for a provider offering the unit standards listed in this post.

Gebhard N Nangolo Feb 8, 2018 at 10:03 pm

kindly provide me with details on all courses facilitator, assesor and moderator, nangolo.g@gmail.com Namibia

Phezisa Mar 5, 2018 at 4:19 pm

I would like to become SAQA qualified, what can I do?

Mpho Ntsetselane Jun 4, 2018 at 7:40 pm

How do I become a qualified assessor?

Siyabonga Ngqame Jun 12, 2018 at 9:13 am

Could you send me more information on your short course that includes prices and schedules in Cape Town

Anghenick Jul 11, 2018 at 9:55 am

Good morning, Leonie. Can you provide me with your email adress,please. I need information. Regards . Anghenick.

moses Aug 25, 2018 at 10:26 pm

Kindly give me information with regard to register as a moderator/facilitater. I am accredited ETDP Assesor. Regards. Moses

Nombuyiselo Sep 5, 2018 at 4:57 pm

I have an NPC where I tutor skills to the Community (crafts) beading.
Most companies are interested that their employees can be trained since I make unique designs.

How possible can I get Accredited?

Lucky Sep 10, 2018 at 2:29 pm

Kindly provide me with the list of SETA’s to choose from.
Also the application to be a training provider/facilitator.

Regards

Nomusa Sep 22, 2018 at 5:36 pm

Hi
I’m a qualified teacher.
Would you please give me more info on how to become a qualified facilitator, assessor and moderator in my teaching field.

Ntombizanele Jack Nov 13, 2018 at 12:27 pm

I am interested in having a qualification as an facilitator.assessesor,moderator.
Currently I have 20 years work as Assistant probation officer experience and do facilitation work.

Johan MOLLER Nov 28, 2018 at 2:37 pm

Good day i just want to find out the procedure to register as a Facilitator ,Assessor and Moderator wtih ETDP , if completed my studies in all 3 fields

Regards
Johan Moller

Mzwandile Mncane Jan 1, 2019 at 3:46 pm

Hi , Ive studied my Teachers Diploma and later enrolled with Facilitation and Assessment, now I want to know the combination of the 3 Qualifications is Equivalent to what in South Africa with SETA and other Accreditors ?

Comments are closed.