Mon, Nov 29, 2021

Apprenticeships, Learnerships, and Internships are job specific qualifications preparing you for work in a range of or specific industries.

Interview Tips for Job-based Qualifications and Internships

How to Prepare and What to Say

You’ve made it through to the interview round! way to go!!! It means you’ve been shortlisted out of a couple of hundred, let that sink in and think about what it is that made you stand  out. Now build on it.

An interview is your opportunity to stand out from everyone else. Use every opportunity to gather information about the company and what type of people they are looking for.

Preparing is not a quick thing. It takes hours of research and finding people you can connect with to strengthen your place.

Be Social Media Sharp

If you want a creative career or one with a strong people focus – the ability to use online platforms to promote your work and help shape opinions in  a company’s favour can advantage you.

Social workers, religious groups and community groups all benefit from social media as they can share messages and build support for causes.

• Set up a LinkedIn profile and transfer all your information from your CV on it. Update all information. Check your spelling and make sure your profile picture is smart and professional.
  • Set up a Twitter account, find and follow the company and as many people who work there. Like, comment and retweet their stuff. Always be positive and friendly.
  • Remove inappropriate pictures and statements from Facebook, instagram or anywhere else you shared stuff you may regret. No recruiter should know that you get drunk every weekend and have been photographed passed out on many toilet floors. Adult up now ok! 🙂

Check Out Your Competition

Arrive early. Early enough to observe your potential competition.

If you have to wait with other applicants, use the time to find out about your competition.

1. Listen to how they communicate, are they shy, insecure, timid or bold, confident and determined?
  2. Look at their body language. Are they fidgeting, moving nervously, looking away from everyone and avoiding engaging?
  3. Pick out who you think you would want to employ if you were the interviewer.NOW BE BETTER THAN THEM!

If you don’t get to meet your competition – you need to charm the receptionist. Have a roll of sweets and offer one. Ask questions about the organisation, ask about the corporate culture and ask what’s the best and worst thing about the company. Br friendly, don’t push for information if they seem unwilling or bored by you.

It’s ok to be nervous. No interviewer expects everyone to feel confident and relaxed in an interview setting. Obviously though, it’s to your advantage if you are! Just a heads up – you could be interviewed by more than one person.

7 Steps: Present Confidence and Passion at the Interview

1. Shake the interviewer’s hand, if they are seated behind a table walk up to the table, greet, stretch out your hand to each person and then be seated.  If the table is too wide for you to do so, simply look at each person, acknowledging everyone.

2. The first thing you must do is thank them for calling you in for an interview. Make eye contact with each person there to show that you value each professional’s presence. I know…eye contact can be a tricky cultural issue sometimes, although most interviewers are sensitive to this, still try. It’s not considered disrespectful and can set you apart from others might struggle to fit into the organisation’s culture for a while.

3. Interviewers will want to ask you questions – so practice answers that explain specifically why you want this apprenticeship / learnership or internship program and what it will mean to you. The most impressive candidates are those who explain why the program is of major importance to them. You must know the name of the program and understand how it’s relevant to the company.  You can click here if you want to know more about what could be asked.

4. The interview panel’s looking for candidates who can communicate a commitment to the programme. Commitment can be witnessed through passion, and passion, in turn is about awareness.

Anyone can say “I really really want to do this.” That’s unconvincing and meaningless. Interviewers want to know why: who inspired you to pursue this career, what do you know about it, what is your vision for yourself?

For example,

“I want to be on this learnership because I’ve always imagined myself being a chef for an international hotel chain.
I know it’s not glamorous, that I’ll be sweaty and will do the worst tasks in the kitchen until I’ve proven myself!
I love cooking, seeing people appreciate my food and would like to work in an environment where I will be
pushed and one day even invent my own unique dishes. No one in my family has ever studied for a career and
they realise that this would be a real opportunity for me to be successful.”

5. Money’s important – trust me, even the panel interviewing you have financial issues! When interviewers sit back and ask you ‘is there anything you’d like to ask?’ – if your first question is related to how much you will earn while on the program – you are not going to score. You could be an applicant who’s only interested in earning – not learning.

While you have a reasonable request in wanting to know what grant or stipend you will receive, the interviewer wants to believe you are committed to exploring a viable career option for yourself.(Viable option: a career you really want for your future growth.) It’s best to call ahead, give a false name and ask about the stipend before the interview. Read our #Talkpay posts for more on this issue.

6. Career Commitment. Unfortunately, those dealing with learnership and apprenticeship interviews are familiar with candidates who ‘hop.’ These are those who have completed previous occupational training programs in different industries. We don’t like you! Too often it means you are not thinking strategically about which qualification is relevant to you gaining employment.

If however, you are managing to apply for programs that are connected – for example you have just completed a Level 3 program and have now applied for the same at Level 4  – that’s FANTASTIC – keep climbing!!!

If you are studying and taking advantageous of opportunities to keep climbing the ladder for your career purposes – then keep applying and keep pushing!:

7. Make an impression. What should you ask?

This is your chance to show real interest in a career. Ask the interviewers what they do in the industry, how they became involved etc.

Ask them if there’s any advice they could give you about how to be successful if you’re not accepted to the program.

That approach shows determination and genuine interest in the sector. It also shows that all you really want is an opportunity to follow your dreams.

Have You written Your Cover Letter Yet? 🙂

Check out our cover letter template article.

Watch our video belowLearnership Cover letter – what to write?‘  for more advice and ideas! <blessings!>

Answering Interview Questions About Past Behaviour

Attitude beats Experience in Interviews

Best wishes for your success, own your dreams!!!

Tags: , , , , , ,

Bonny Feb 6, 2013 at 9:01 pm

This webside has given me power and courage to face the intewiere, i realy appriciate your support guys your the best

The Cross Pollinating Project Nomad Feb 6, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Bonny you just rocked my world! Best luck for your interview, let us know how it goes ok!!! <>

nolwazi gumede Oct 28, 2013 at 1:01 pm

This has been helpful to me since I’m going to a learnership interview @ the department of correctional services on 30th of october 2013 frm precious gumede

Nomfundo Nhlangulela Apr 10, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Me2.

rachel Jun 11, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I have found this article,helpful,thank you very much!

Tebogo Aug 23, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Im relieft after i saw the learnership interview tips coz i was fastrated abwt the interview that im going to attend soon i was clueless bt nw atleast im brightness..thank u for ur help

The Cross Pollinating Project Nomad Aug 23, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Aweh! Good luck Tebogo!

Tebogo Aug 24, 2013 at 8:03 am

Always my pleasure

mxolisi ginindza Aug 26, 2013 at 12:01 pm

The tips are highly sensetive and precise, this surly is the best way to be conducted and best way to react and respond….give all the stars*****

judy Sep 19, 2013 at 9:23 pm

i am confident now! i know il use the skills if not thy will work in future interviews

Lwazi Buthelezi Nov 19, 2013 at 9:44 am

These are best tip. I’m not that good in english but i understand this tips. Tanks…

Nomfundo Nhlangulela Apr 10, 2014 at 12:51 pm

This has given me the confidence i nedd. I think it will help me alot. Thank you

Alphina Apr 30, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Tnx i rly wana knw mre

otto madingwane Jun 17, 2014 at 8:42 pm

im relieft after seing this wonderful, conjusive and helpful website, it’s very interesting and it just gave me courage and power to face the interviewere. Im going to get my learnership. Thank you very much guys, i realy appriciate support!

motshabi Aug 18, 2014 at 7:49 am

Thank u so much for d learnership tips I now have an idear of what to expect from ma interview and I have an idear of how to conduct myself in one

Petrus Feb 12, 2015 at 6:54 pm

i am in a learnership of 18.2 learner miner wich is level two so i am looking for tips to prepare my self for next interview questions for level three so i dont knw wat to expect.

Cross Pollinating Project Nomad Feb 12, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Hi Petrus! I’ll think about your question and then write a post to assist you. Follow us so that you know when it’s posted!

Nsovo Apr 1, 2015 at 2:44 am

Appreciate your help

dolly mkansi Jun 1, 2015 at 2:37 pm

im just greatful for this website as I have applied for dsc leanership I hope it will help me

1bigLEO Jun 3, 2015 at 7:11 am

Best wishes Dolly! Read our interview tips and keep looking! Don’t apply for one only and then chill. Apply for at least 5 ok!

judi bola online terpercaya Jun 23, 2015 at 8:17 pm

That is a really good tip particularly to those fresh to the blogosphere.
Brief but very accurate information… Thanks for sharing this one.
A must read post!

medali kelulusan Jul 9, 2015 at 3:38 am

Hi I am so thrilled I found your blog page, I really found you
by error, while I was browsing on Bing for something else, Nonetheless I
am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a incredible post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time
to browse it all at the moment but I have saved it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time
I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the awesome work.

1bigLEO Jul 9, 2015 at 8:42 am

Your praise is humbling Medali, thank you so much! The blog is written with love and we will keep doing so! Thank you fir joining the community. 🙂

Boitumelo Jul 14, 2015 at 6:15 pm

I’m doing level4 electrical NQF I have pass my level 2 all subject but in level 3 I failed only electrical workmanship with 46 percent im asking for learnership electrical my number is 0786831127 I live at gauteng palm ridge

ntswaki Jul 20, 2015 at 4:34 pm

hi guys jst gt a call i hav interview for hospitality learnership tommorrow m so nervervous i dont know how to preper myself which questions to preper for please help.

1bigLEO Jul 20, 2015 at 4:40 pm

If you’ve read the posts and watched the Keep Climbing videos on YouTube you’re good to GO!!

lily Oct 1, 2015 at 10:00 am

hi I hv passed my Level2 up to L4 also with an additional of N2 (passed ) in electrical engineering course I hv went to several interview but still the is no luck and before my interview day I always make a research about the company follow tips abt interviews even now am still searching for a job , learnership, internship etc if u have something email me (lilicious653@gmail.com ) . @klerksdrop

eric Oct 15, 2015 at 4:06 pm

Hi this ArticLe is Real. HElpful to me.I hope evEn to others It will hElp

Leonie Hall Oct 29, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Thank you so much for using the information Eric!

nkosinathi Nov 11, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Any body can help me about how to to answer learner ship interview questions

Bethule Nov 19, 2015 at 11:20 am

Greeting ….this is such a wonderful website, so I would like to show my gratitude towards you guys in fact it’s helpful. I ddn’t want leave a reply but I had a guilty conscience , again thnx n God may bless you.

Leonie Hall Jun 13, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Dearest Bethule
    I was so disappointed to see that my reply to you didn’t appear.
    Your comment really made my day back then and did it again when I saw it now! 🙂
    All the best, Leonie

customer service resume power keywords Dec 11, 2015 at 10:32 am

Thanks for finally twlking about >Tips for Successful Learnership and Apprenticeship Interviews | Keep Climbing the NQF <Liked it!

Nkosingiphile Jan 14, 2016 at 11:51 am

This is a very helpful website I’ve came across while making a preparation for an interview/ assessment programme

bernard mmamushi Jan 23, 2016 at 12:31 am

Free at last.eish I was going to trip nd fall.ooh what a relief

Thulani Rungo Feb 6, 2016 at 10:19 pm

The great tips I get here…will come in handy in an interview I am about to attend…hope I cn work and prepare well with them…I need this…I am hungry for it…I hope I’ll achieve it…I believe I will

Leonie Hall Feb 10, 2016 at 9:48 pm

Thanks a million for your comment Thulani. Please let us know how your interviews go!! Best wishes!!

Amanda Mar 11, 2016 at 6:52 am

I’d like to find out more? I’d like to find out more details.

eastern cape Mar 13, 2016 at 10:50 pm

Thanks for the help!

zara Mar 15, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Thank you for providing this information.

zandile Mar 21, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Hi guys got inter view on wesday bytes technology. I am so nervous please help me to prepared the question and answer please

Your help will be much appreciated

Alfred Mar 26, 2016 at 6:11 am

Greetings! Very useful advice within this article! It’s the little changes that make the greatest changes.
Thanks for sharing!

desigen Jul 22, 2016 at 11:13 pm

You should take part in a contest for one of the most
useful sites on the internet. I will recommend this
blog!

penumbuh Aug 4, 2016 at 2:59 am

Its not my first time to visit this site, i am visiting this website dailly and get good information from here all the time.

bongie Aug 9, 2016 at 3:36 pm

Its my first time going thru this website as well….please help i hv been invited for an interview on friday for a nursing learnership….pls assist on hw to answer the questions….

Lebo Aug 21, 2016 at 7:24 pm

We are a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our
community. Your site offered us with valuable information to work on. You’ve done a formidable job and
our whole community will be grateful to you.

Atty Sep 14, 2016 at 1:34 pm

hello ,I am looking for somebody who can help me with general interview questions and solutions or how to approach question and again need help for techniques interview question for Electrical engineering

Sibo Dec 25, 2016 at 3:38 pm

I like this site very much, Its a very nice place to read and receive information.

Hendi Mar 2, 2017 at 8:24 pm

I cannot thank you enough for the blog post.Thanks Again.

Thandeka Jan 4, 2019 at 4:13 pm

Iwant to do my practical for educare